1927, the Argentine Commission for Foreign Acquisitions negotiated a
contract with Colt for the manufacture of .45 caliber self loading pistols
specially marked and serial numbered in a separate series, and secured a
licensing agreement giving the Argentine government the right to manufacture
these pistols in Argentina. The agreement specified:
1) Colt would manufacture 10,000 Colt automatic pistols, caliber .45,
Argentine Model 1927 for the Argentine Army,
2) that the complete knowledge base for future production of the pistols in
Argentina, to include drawings, manufacturing instructions, material
specifications, tool requirements, etc. would be transferred to Argentine
3) that Argentine technicians would be trained in manufacturing operations
In 1943, the Argentine Military Small Arms Factory (FMAP - Fabrica Militar
de Armas Portatiles) began to prepare for the manufacture of Model 1927
pistols under the 1927 licensing agreement. These pistols were known as "Pistola
Sistema "Colt" Modelo Argentino 1927, Calibre 11,25mm." Production began at
the Esteban de Luca Arsenal in Buenos Aires, with the first pistols actually
being assembled at the Domingo Matheu plant in Rosario, Argentina in 1945.
The pistols were manufactured in accordance with Colt's 1927 drawings. They
were exact copies of Colt's 1927 pistols (identical to US military M1911A1
pistols) except for very minor differences, and parts were interchangeable.
The only noticeable differences were the markings, grips, black oxide
bluing, a sharp edge on the rear of the hammer, and a sharp edge on the heel
of the grip safety. Triggers were solid as on the 1927 Colts , and the
checkering on the mainspring housing was changed from Colt type cut
checkering to indented checkering.
Barrels on pistols issued to the Army had blued chambers, but the chambers
on Navy, police, and commercial barrels were milled after being blued, which
resulted in a bright unfinished surface comparable to Colt commercial
barrels. Serial numbers were stamped on the barrels prior to bluing, and
therefore, bluing remained inside the numbers.
The Sistema Colt pistols were made for the army, navy, air force, government
bureaus, police organizations, and commercial sales. They were normally
serial numbered on the right side of the receiver, the grip frame under the
mainspring housing, on the top and right side of the slide, on the top of
the chamber and the bottom of the magazine. The presence of an Argentine
crest on the pistol indicates government issue; pistols without crests were
made for local police, non-government agencies, commercial sales and export.
All Sistema Colt pistols bear the marking D.G.F.M. - (F.M.A.P.) on the left
side of the slide, which indicates manufacture by the Direccion General de
Fabricaciones Militares at the Fabrica Militar de Armas Portatiles. A total
of 88,494 Sistema Colt pistols were produced.
Translates (freely) as "Military Production Agency - Military Small Arms
Factory". "Direccion General" is literally "General Direction" but its
closest English equivalent is "Agency".