1917 Colt/Savage M1911
This is an Augusta Arsenal rebuilt M1911 pistol with
a slide made by the A.J. Savage Munitions Co. of San Diego California, and a
Colts manufacturing Co. made frame, serial number 1864XX. This receiver was originally shipped on
October 13, 1917, to the Commanding Officer, Springfield Armory.
The Ordnance Department final acceptance mark, a cartouche bearing the
initials of Gilbert H. Stewart, Major, Ordnance Department, U.S. Army.
Major Stewart served as Brevet Commanding Officer of Springfield Armory
from January 11, 1918 to March 15, 1918, and later as Commanding Officer,
Colonel, from September 1938 to June 10, 1942. Colonel Stewart was promoted to
Brigadier General on November 16, 1940 and retired on June 30, 1942.
The Augusta Arsenal AA mark is stamped forward of the Springfield slide stop and still visible. The barrel has the same type and color finish as rest of gun, the barrel hood is polished, about 90% of the arsenal parkerized finish remains, and bore is good. All parts and markings are GI (Government Issue.) Pistols with Savage slides are generally considered to be arsenal rebuilds rather than a “variation” because they were used in random order and were generally assembled after original manufacture of the receiver.
Savage won a contract to deliver M1911s but it was
canceled before they could deliver completed pistols. It is believed that the
only truly correct Savage marked guns are the ones that are also marked AA for
Augusta Arsenal. AA took into inventory the few completed parts that Savage
made and the slides where used as replacement slides in the rebuild process.
Notice the AA stamp on the image below. Reference Charles Clawsons “Colt .45
the T. Moore collection