S&W M1917
December, 1918 Production

SN - 143829

Smith & Wesson produced approximately 169,595 U.S. Army Model 1917 Revolvers between 1917 and 1919. All revolvers were polish blue with 5.5 inch barrels and chambered to shoot the .45 ACP round. Early production revolvers had the ordnance acceptance mark of GHS (Gilbert H. Stewart) which was replaced with the ordnance bomb pictured below around April of 1918. The final inspection mark of Eagle/S# started to appear around June 1918, before that date there was not one present on the rear trigger guard web (see inspectors mark image below).

S&W M1917 revolvers in this serial number range were shipped to the American Expeditionary Forces at Bush Terminal. Also to be found on the right side of this example is the mark of the Ordnance Office “OO” as they served as guard guns in the 1930s.
 

  • The Original finish on the S&W M1917 was bright polish blue with case hardened hammer and trigger, they were configured to use the .45 ACP ammo with a moon clip (holds 3 bullets, also allows for extraction).

  • The inspectors mark of Col. Gilbert H. Stewart (GHS) can be found on the left side of the receiver until April, 1918 and then a Ordnance insignia (bomb) until end of production.

  • The serial number can be found on the butt, back of cylinder, underside of barrel, inside right grip, underside of extractor, inside of crane.

  • "United States Property" mark is located on the bottom of the barrel.

  • Barrel is tapered. Unlike the M1909 barrel.
     


Left profile

Right profile

Ordinance acceptance mark

Right side plate

Barrel Caliber

"U.S. Property" Mark

Barrel Patent

Butt - "U.S. Army"

"OO" marking

Barrel serial number and
Eagle/S2 inspectors mark

Inspectors mark "E/S?"
(passed final inspection)

Cylinder - serial number
a E/S24 mark
    From the T. Moore
collection

Click on images for larger image
Return to Main Revolver Page