Smith & Wesson .38 S&W CTG
 Victory Model
"United States Property"
Date: 1943 S/N V486181

The Victory model was so named for the "V" prefix which was placed before the serial number and represented "Victory" against the Axis powers in World War II. The revolver shown here was manufactured in late 1943 and accepts the .38 S&W cartridge. The acceptance mark of Ordnance officer Guy H. Drewry was on the left top strap from about V300000 to end of production, prior to the period of July 1942 to about May 1943 it was found on the butt. The property mark was shortened to "U.S. Property" at about serial number V300000 to make room for the acceptance mark that was relocated. Just to the left of the property mark is a ordnance bomb mark. On the left side of the frame, cylinder, and underneath the barrel is a "P" mark which indicates this revolver has passed military proof testing, this practice has been observed since approximately V450000. There were over 571,629 of these models produced between October 1941 and May 1945 for the British Common wealth countries.

This revolver was part of the United States Government Lend Lease contract and shipped December 20th, 1943 to the Hartford Depot in Springfield, MA. The Hartford Depot was the operations center for the lend lease program. See details from S&W in the letter below.

This revolver was also used by the Austrian Police, notice mark on left of frame below hammer. After the war a lot of these revolvers remained in the U.S. Army inventory primarily for issue to foreign military and security personnel.


Left Profile

Right Profile

Letter from S&W on this revolver

Caliber mark

Butt Serial number

Page 2

Cylinder serial number and proof mark

Barrel Serial Number and Proof mark

Frame Proof mark

Austrian Police mark

S&W Logo

Ordnance mark (The Bomb), U.S. property mark and Guy H. Drewry acceptance mark
  • GHD is the U.S. military inspection mark of Guy H. Drewry. Found on top straps from V300000 to end of production, prior on butt from 7/42 until moved in 1943.
  • P on Cylinder, Barrel, and Left side are military Proof mark which began to be present post V450000
  • "U.S. Property" started on top strap at about V300000 (May 1943), prior to that it was "United States Property".
  • This revolver has a 5 inch barrel. (5 inch was standard after April 1942)
  • "P" mark has been observed before and after finish applied. When applied after finish there will be raised metal around stamping and exposed metal. Use magnifying glass to view.
  • Serial number is found on barrel, frame (butt), cylinder, under extractor star, and inside grip.

Click on images for larger image
Return to Main Revolver Page

All revolvers on the page are from the Moore collection